Ohio Valley Glass Company
Pleasant City, Ohio (1902-1905)
(O.V.G.CO. mark on electrical insulators)
This factory operated for a rather short period of time, but nevertheless produced a fairly large number of insulators that are found frequently throughout much of the U.S. All units from this operation are marked “O.V.G.CO.” on the skirt. The factory also made some battery jars, besides the insulators which was their primary product.
Ohio Valley Glass Company operated in the small town of Pleasant City, Ohio, located along State Route 146 approximately 20 miles south of Cambridge. The company was officially incorporated in August of 1902, and the land for the operation (about 4 acres) was purchased on September 16th of that year. Since construction of the plant would have taken some time, it is probable that actual production of insulators may not have started until sometime in the very early months of 1903.
By late 1904 the company was in trouble and was not making enough money to pay all the bills and meet payroll. By January 1905 the plant was in receivership. The insulators in inventory at the time of closure, plus the molds and other equipment were eventually sold to several companies and individuals, and in August of 1906 Hemingray Glass Company purchased the land and buildings.
It is likely that all (or nearly all) of the O.V.G.CO insulators were actually made sometime during the years 1903 and 1904.
A total of 8 different styles of insulators were made, including the CD 106 (same style as the “Hemingray No. 9”) , CD 112 (“keg” style marked #11) , CD 121 (toll or long distance style similar to units marked AM TEL & TEL CO), CD 133 (“standard” or “bullet” telegraph style), CD 145 (beehive), CD 160 (small pony signal) , CD 162 (signal) and the very uncommon CD 196 (a type of transposition or “tramp”). The highest production, and thus the styles which are most commonly found today would be their CD 106, CD 112 and CD 145 insulators.
Colors include shades of blue, several shades of aqua, and greens (including a light celery green, yellow green, and medium to darker greens). A very few units have been found in a light sun-colored amethyst (SCA).
Note: Another glass manufacturing company with the same name operated in Bridgeton, Ohio circa 1881-1888. That company produced fruit jars with an OVGCO monogram, and had absolutely no connection with this later one in Pleasant City.
For much more detailed information on this Ohio Valley Glass Company (and others with the same firm name), please check out this article by the late Frank Swies: http://www.insulators.info/articles/ohio_valley_glass_company.htm.
[Other sources of info include an article from “A History and Guide to North American Glass Pintype Insulators”, John & Carol McDougald McDougald (1990): written by Bob Harding with information from Glenn Drummond, R.David Dale, and Darrell Moore; and The Fruit Jar Works (1995) by Alice Creswick].
Please click here to go to my Home Page.