CAPSTAN GLASS COMPANY
Connellsville, Pennsylvania (1919-1938)
The manufacturer’s mark used by Capstan Glass resembles a “pawn” chess piece, but actually represents a CAPSTAN, the “spool-like” contraption installed on ships, docks, etc., to move, pull or lift heavy items, often seen with cables or ropes wound around it………….one of those items that people may see without knowing the “proper” name for them 🙂
This factory was bought by Anchor Hocking Glass Company in 1938. This mark appears on a variety of flint (clear) glass bottles as well as commercial packers’ jars used for such products as mayo, pickles, etc. Many sizes of jelly glasses and other small “tumblers” are found that originally held food products such as cheese spread, mustard, jam, peanut butter, etc.
These glasses are found in a number of different sizes, some very small and not much bigger in size than some druggist dose glasses or large shotglasses. Accompanying photos shows a 2 & 1/4 oz. “packer glass” with the Capstan mark, and a closeup of the base.
For an article with more information on some of the items made by Capstan Glass Company, check out this piece written by Capstan researcher/collector/authority Barry L. Bernas. (Bernas has written several articles, and a reference book, about Capstan). http://www.fohbc.org/PDF_Files/asco.pdf.
To return to the Glass Bottle Marks pages, please click here.